Indignantly Canadian
"so what do they play in canada?"
"hockey"
"ice hockey?"
"?? what other kind is there? hockey IS ice hockey."
in other sports news, canada's fifa world soccer ranking has slipped 16 places to 103rd.
"hockey"
"ice hockey?"
"?? what other kind is there? hockey IS ice hockey."
in other sports news, canada's fifa world soccer ranking has slipped 16 places to 103rd.
5 Comments:
There are other types of hockey: Foot hockey (played by little brothers of hockey players all over the country on the "other" side of the boards at a hockey rink), Penny Hockey (can you imagine a more fun game that can be played for 3 cents?), Field Hockey (okay that doesn't really count... I mean what kind of sport only makes sticks one way... I'm a lefty damn it!)
For a more complete list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_%28disambiguation%29#Other_forms_of_hockey
I'm sure it was just a knee-jerk clarification. As is "_American_ football?"
I'm assuming your listener was aware that you are of Canadian origin. I expect most people in Berlin to be worldly enough to know that to a Canadian, hockey is ice hockey. I'm also assuming that "they" referred to generic Canadians, as opposed to Canadian girls. There are lots of old-fashioned Berliners who might think that hockey for girls means, field hockey, though perhaps not in Canada, where they know ice hockey is such a big deal
I always, conversely, try to convince people to contract "ice hockey" to "hockey" because the former term is restrictive, while the later is inclusive.
Growing up in Canada I often played street hockey, foot hockey, etc., but I don't believe I've ever played ice hockey.
But in Japan nobody ever just says "hockey", it's "ice hockey" (or rather, "aisu hokkei", just as nobody says "football", it's "American Football", or more commonly "Ame-futo".
I had a conversation with a co-worker about foot hockey. Why is it called foot hockey? It's really just soccer with a tennis ball. Only in Canada... :)
Post a Comment
<< Home