Saturday, January 06, 2007

Word of the Day - das Gelächter

"laughter" - a word i'm somewhat astounded i'd never in four years learned. i stumbled across it in a text i was reading. i'm familiar with the verb "lachen". and if pressed i would have come up with "das lachen" another word for laughter.

my life is enriched. by laughter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen Lew said...

I guess laughter isn't used that often in German - cultural implications? :) I'd never come across it either.

Of course, you could use das Lachen. It would be like using laughing, as in, "His laughing drove me crazy."

1/06/2007 7:43 p.m.  
Blogger d-trick.b said...

I think there´s a slight difference in meaning - "gelächter" is more like collective laughter with sometimes a slightly aggressive footnote (making fun), while "lachen" applies more to an individual laughing (mostly with joy. Das Lachen eines Kindes...)
Anyway, I wish everybody lots of laughter an Lachen and Gelächter for 007.

1/07/2007 3:56 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I add my mustard: I thought 'das Lachen' is the action, and 'das Gelächter' ist the sound.(Oops, notice that typo.)Of course, you also hear 'das Lachen' but you can't feel... ohIdontknowhatimsayingasusual (note to self: Halt's Maul, Zugroaste)
-C:A:H:

1/11/2007 9:51 p.m.  
Blogger kristin said...

hmm, after skimming the comments it took me a second to figure out why d-trick is wishing everyone laughter for james bond. over my rueful lachen i can hear the internet gelächter.

1/19/2007 10:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home