Thursday, November 02, 2006

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. ~Salvador Dali

recently i took up drawing. i have this ongoing thing about nurturing my creative side, something i feel i never really paid attention to or even acknowledged. in high school i never took art and what i remember from grade school art seems to involve a lot of pasting of construction paper. high school was very much focussed on simply getting out of high school.

what i'm finding is that i can be incredibly concentrated while drawing. time goes by very quickly. i like the feeling of being very focussed. the problem is i get very frustrated. i can see that my drawings aren't very good. and i just happen to be a perfectionist who doesn't like not being able to do things perfectly the first time around. i want to see results - and fast.

when i worked as an au pair, i taught the little girl i looked after how to tie her shoes. she was immensely frustrated by it and i used to calm her down by telling her we would practice a bit everyday and then one day she'd just be able to do it. and one day she was. several weeks later i saw her outside swinging on her swing by herself. something she had had trouble with before. i made a comment about it and she told me that she practiced a little bit everyday and then one day she was just able to do it.

why are these lessons so hard to apply to one's self? i look at the drawings i've been doing and guess what? they are getting better. so kristin? RELAX. of course if anyone else says that to me i may rip their heads off.

unrelated - it's snowing here. a lot.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kern said...

I really want to do more to nurture both my creativity and my memory.

I have this horrible sinking feeling that both are fading away on me.

Drawing I gave up on years ago; I plateaued sometime during high school at a level that was still not decent enough to show anybody. :)

11/04/2006 1:39 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

Way to go Kristin! We do so little as adults to master new things. In the past five years, I can think of two significant things I've pushed myself to learn. Driving standard, and singing and clapping (drumming) at the same time.

11/04/2006 2:01 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

snowing!!!!???? draw the snowflakes! an infinite number of intricate shapes. I bet you're doing fine, show me your stuff sometime.

xxxTom Scribble

11/05/2006 1:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home