The Pleasure of Reading
nick hornby has this to say about reading.
i admit to thinking there are books i should read and to feeling proud to have read quite a few of them. right now i'm slogging through rushdie's "the satanic verses". it's been over a month since i started reading it. normally i, as kern once said, devour books but it just isn't happening. my eyes skip over the prose and keep having to go back up the page. i'll keep you updated.
"lolita" is the only other book (of fiction) i never finished that comes to mind.
i admit to thinking there are books i should read and to feeling proud to have read quite a few of them. right now i'm slogging through rushdie's "the satanic verses". it's been over a month since i started reading it. normally i, as kern once said, devour books but it just isn't happening. my eyes skip over the prose and keep having to go back up the page. i'll keep you updated.
"lolita" is the only other book (of fiction) i never finished that comes to mind.
2 Comments:
I'm with Hornsby.
Sometimes I look at what other people are reading and think, "are you ENJOYING that, or reading it because you think it makes you look learned?".
Of course, there are lots of people who enjoy reading esoteric prose (as do I, from time to time).
But I'm not ashamed to say I'm currently re-reading Robert Jordan's "The Eye of the World". :)
I found that as I grew up, the rate at which I "devoured" books slowed dramatically; partly because I had less free time to read, and partly because I started reading more books that I thought I ought to, but hated (like "War and Peace", which I now fully accept I will NEVER read).
My brother once swore to read "ever classic ever written". So ridiculous for so many reasons...
My brother... :)
definitely in high school i read much more and faster. more time and more science fiction.
Post a Comment
<< Home